Tuesday, July 31, 2007

This is Sparta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(aaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!)

I'd like to dedicate today's blog to the awesome movie "300" - which just so happens to be hitting store shelves today. (plugged! lol) It is also sitting on our shelf now too! :) This movie is major eye candy, inspiration, and a veritable feast for all of you action junkies out there. I personally wouldn't describe myself as a "junkie". However, I do love a good action-packed thrill ride - when the mood strikes. (Can you tell I love amusement park rides too?) Of course, the real draw of the 300 for me is the cinema - the amazing style of visual storytelling that only a handful of movies truly succeed in these days. I dare say that this movie has compelled itself so completely into its own genre of movie. The scenes appear as living paintings and the action is unfurled with great gusto and trumpeting! Aw-HooH! (whoo! sudden surge of heroic spartan inspiration there... hehe) Since the movie was completely filmed on green scene, the creators of the 300 had complete freedom to express Frank Miller's (guru of comics) brutal and still strangely beautiful vision of the ancient Spartans. There are moments in this story that just take your breath away or open your mind to new ways of seeing the world.

Now, I admit this isn't all sunshine and shiny "Ab-men". There is a lot of blood and gore and many unpleasant things. It is an action movie based on an incredible yet gruesome battle. But the gore never struck me as overwhelming or in excess. I am a squeamish one - ask Jeremy. :) You won't find me going to any horror movies (or going on really, really scary rides or even haunted houses). And yet I'm totally enthralled with this movie! The 300's tactful use of slow-motion (lots... and lots... of slow motion) makes the battle scenes tolerable and very, very heroic. So instead of looking away, I'm leaning forward and cheering Leonidas on! (Darn it, I want a shield! lol) Oh and I must mention the queen of Sparta character. She is one of the strongest female roles I have ever seen portrayed in a movie! I will not say much more than that because I don't want to spoil just how awesome she is. But when you see her in this you will be cheering her on too!

As a lover of visual beauty, compelling characterization, and a total indulger of all things eye candy, I recommend the 300 to you!


2 comments:

  1. AnonymousJuly 31, 2007

    My husband went out and bought this at midnight last night! We haven't even seen it and we own it. Can't wait to see it though based on what you said! +

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe *^^* Thanks Tiffany for the vote of confidence! Seriously, I'm glad I could get you excited about the 300. I love it! Lemme know how you like the movie (or hate its guts!) lol.

    P.S. Great photos on your site! Do you shoot along side your hubby?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! ~Heather