Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Holidays Part 3

After Christmas, I traveled up north to Eureka, California to visit my mom's family. It's a beautiful drive up through redwoods and hills/mountains. It flurried on the way (which is rare) but I didn't stop to shoot it. I'd seen enough snow in Maryland. ^_^

Our base camp was Grandma's house. With all of the endless trays of fudge and cookies and candy and cake (and an xbox for the kids), I think all of the family was there 24/7 enjoying the food and fine company.


This is my Grandma. I've wanted to take a portrait of her for so long.
I really love how it came out.


This is Grandma with my cousin Cassie.


Enter the willing model!


Cousin Liz in quiet repose.

The quiet didn't last long...


This is the brawl that ensued after trying to take a portrait of all the kids/cousins.
We're such a loving bunch. ^_^ It's ok though - these three are siblings.

This is the small apple orchard in Grandma's backyard. I had been wanting to have a shoot there but since I'd arrived, it had been raining and raining without end. So with a constant drizzle coming down and everyone being stuffed with holiday leftovers, what were we to do? Why, have an impromptu apple picking/photo session in the rain, of course!


Jump!


Cassie! More apples!


Liz, come join the fun!
I had to climb a very wet and slippery tree to get this good laugh.


Cousin Steph gave us moral support. Such a brave soul!


Grandma's backyard is magical. With an apple orchard, a bamboo forest and an amazingly old, distressed barn - it's a portrait photographer's dream to shoot (with some willing subjects, of course). ^_^ Cassie! To the Bamboo!


Did I mention she's a cheerleader? She posed herself!






Cousin Logan got pulled into the shoot too. He was awesome - tromping into all of those soggy apples and leaves without a single complaint. ^_^ Logan, you rock!


The GQ pose.




And this is my aunt Susie with her daughter, Cassie. Yes, I got her mom into the shoot too. Such a photogenic pair! She's also the mother of all 3 brawlers (see picture above). How does she do it?

----------------------------------
As always, my trip ended way too soon. I'm so glad I got to see everyone in the short time that I had. I hope it doesn't take another two+ years to meet up with everyone again. At least, there are pictures to remember the fun. I'm such a strong believer in capturing the memories because there's never enough time in the end. But there's always pictures! ^_^

Until next time!
~Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! ~Heather